DORSAL NASAL REFINEMENT USING DICED CARTILAGE GRAFTS FIXED WITH BLOOD
Hemin Oathman Sheriff a
a College of Medicine, University of Sulaimani, Kurdistan Region, Iraq.
Submitted: 28/3/2019; Accepted: 6/11/2019; Published: 21/12/2019
DOI Link: https://doi.org/10.17656/jsmc.10231
The use of diced cartilage grafts in rhinoplasty is well described and it has been popularized recently for establishment and camouflaging any imperfections of the dorsal aesthetic lines and contour.
To establish the efficacy of pure diced cartilage grafts fixed with blood in dorsal nasal refinement or augmentation.
Patients and Methods
Twenty six rhinoplasties patients (23 primary and 3 secondary) were included in this study. At the end of the procedure, diced cartilage grafts, fixed with blood, were inserted into the dorsum of the nose for dorsal augmentation and camouflage of any imperfections. These cases were subsequently assessed clinically and photographically 3 months, 6 months, and then every 6 months till 2 years postoperatively.
At the regular follow up visits, only 3 patients had problem that required treatment. Two patients had palpable bony prominences at the keystone area, which were successfully treated by fine rasping under local anesthesia in clinic, and the other one had a small depression which was filled up.
The use of diced cartilage grafts admixed with clotted blood is an elegant and powerful technique in dorsal nasal refinement and augmentation without the additional morbidity, risks and complications incurred in the use of either Surgicel® or with fascia to wrap the cartilage grafts.
Diced cartilage grafts, Dorsal nasal refinement.
1. Cakmak O, Buyuklu F. Crushed cartilage grafts for concealing irregularities in rhinoplasty. Archives of facial plastic surgery. 2007;9(5):352-7.
2. Kreutzer C, Hoehne J, Gubisch W, Rezaeian F, Haack S. Free Diced Cartilage: A New Application of Diced Cartilage Grafts in Primary and Secondary Rhinoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140(3):461-70.
3. Harel M, Margulis A. Dorsal Augmentation with Diced Cartilage Enclosed With Temporal Fascia in Secondary Endonasal Rhinoplasty. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2013;33(6):809-16.
4. Elwany MS, Radi SH, Foda HT, Magdy E, Kalsa RR. Fate of implanted autologous cartilage grafts in rabbits: an experimental histological study. Bull Alex Fac Med. 2006;42(4).
5. Ma J-G, Wang K-M, Zhao X-H, Cai L, Li X. Diced Costal Cartilage for Augmentation Rhinoplasty. Chinese Medical Journal. 2015;128(19):2679-81.
6. Singh SK, Sood T, Sabarigirish K, Ramakrishnan N, Rajguru R, Manoj Kumar K. A New Era of Diced Cartilage Rhinoplasty: Our Experience. Indian journal of otolaryngology and head and neck surgery : official publication of the Association of Otolaryngologists of India. 2015;67(4):338-40.
7. Daniel RK. The role of diced cartilage grafts in rhinoplasty. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2006;26(2):209-13.
8. Daniel RK, Calvert JW. Diced Cartilage Grafts in Rhinoplasty Surgery. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2004;113(7):2156-71.
9. Erol OO. Long-Term Results and Refinement of the Turkish Delight Technique for Primary and Secondary Rhinoplasty: 25 Years of Experience. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016;137(2):423-37.
10. Erol OO. Injection of Compressed Diced Cartilage in the Correction of Secondary and Primary Rhinoplasty: A New Technique with 12 Years' Experience. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140(5):673e-85e.
11. Erol OO. Discussion: Free Diced Cartilage: A New Application of Diced Cartilage Grafts in Primary and Secondary Rhinoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140(3):471-3.
12. Erol OO, Gundogan H. DICED CARTILAGE GRAFTS IN RHINOPLASTY SURGERY. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2005;116(4):1169-71.
13. Daniel RK. Diced Cartilage Grafts in Rhinoplasty Surgery: Current Techniques and Applications. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2008;122(6):1883-91.
14. Anchan SV, Naik A. Efficacy of diced cartilage graft in dorsal augmentation rhinoplasty and comparison with solid block cartilage. International Journal of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. 2018;4(3):670-2.
15. Bullocks JM, Echo A, Guerra G, Stal S, Yuksel E. A Novel Autologous Scaffold for Diced-cartilage Grafts in Dorsal Augmentation Rhinoplasty. Aesthetic plastic surgery. 2011;35(4):569-79.
16. Park P, Jin HR. Diced Cartilage in Fascia for Major Nasal Dorsal Augmentation in Asians: A Review of 15 Consecutive Cases. Aesthetic plastic surgery. 2016;40(6):832-9.
17. Öreroğlu AR, Cakır B, Akan M. Bone Dust and Diced Cartilage Combined with Blood Glue: A Practical Technique for Dorsum Enhancement2013.
18. Hoehne J, Gubisch W, Kreutzer C, Haack S. Refining the Nasal Dorsum with Free Diced Cartilage. Facial plastic surgery : FPS. 2016;32(4):345-50.
19. Lin SI, Hsiao YC, Chang CS, Chen PK, Chen JP, Ueng SH. Histology and Long-term Stability of Diced Cartilage Graft for Revision Rhinoplasty in a Cleft Patient. Plastic and reconstructive surgery Global open. 2016;4(6):e763.
20. Arslan E, Majka C, Polat A. The Fate of Diced Cartilage Grafts of Traumatized Versus Nontraumatized Origin. Aesthetic plastic surgery. 2007;31(4):365-71.
21. Codazzi D, Ortelli L, Robotti E. Diced cartilage combined with warm blood glue for nasal dorsum enhancement. Aesthetic plastic surgery. 2014;38(4):822.
22. Tasman AJ. Advances in nasal dorsal augmentation with diced cartilage. Current opinion in otolaryngology & head and neck surgery. 2013;21(4):365-71.
23. Castro-Govea Y, del Valle SA, Kardasch VC, Eparza EP, Costilla OV. Diced and Crushed Cartilage Plus Autologous Fibrin Matrix Obtained by a Simple Process for Dorsal Augmentation of the Mestizo Nose. Facial Plastic Surgery. 2015;31(02):164-71.
© The Authors, published by University of Sulaimani, College of Medicine
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.