PROTECTIVE ROLE OF GINGER ON TESTICULAR TISSUE AND TESTOSTERONE HORMONE OF MALE RATS EXPOSED TO MONO-SODIUM GLUTAMATE
Snoor Jalal Mustafa *, Gulala Ibrahim Qader** and Shler Akram Faqe Mahmood ***
* Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, University of Sulaimani.
** Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, University of Sulaimani.
*** Department of Microbiology, College of Medicine, University of Sulaimani.
Submitted: 4/1/2016; Accepted: 12/6/2016; Published: 1/12/2016
DOI Link: https://doi.org/10.17656/jsmc.10093
Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is commonly used food additive and flavor enhancer and it causes tissue damage. Ginger (Zingiber officinale), a medicinal plant that gaining popularity for its variety of biological protection activities.
This study was carried out to find out the protective role of ginger in eliminating the toxic effect of MSG on testicular tissue and testosterone hormone in rats.
Materials and Methods
Twenty four adult male rats were divided, randomly, into 3 equal groups. The 1st group was designed as control, the 2nd administered MSG orally at dose 4mg/kg body weight for 14 days and the 3rd group treated with MSG in oral doses of 4 mg/kg body weight plus Ginger extract at dose 100 mg /kg body weight for 14 days.
The study showed that MSG has altered the microarchitecture of testicular tissues, reduced seminiferous tubule diameter and germinal epithelial thickness, and increased the interstitial spaces with reduction in Leydig cells and Testosterone hormone level. In addition Ginger extract has prevented the MSG effect. All the results were significant statistically.
Ginger has protective and improving role against the effects induced by MSG on the rat testicular tissue.
Monosodiun glutamate (MSG), Rats, Testes, Seminiferous tubules, Ginger, Testosterone.
1. Bojanic V, Bojanic Z, Najman S, Savic T, Jakovl-jevic V, Najman S, Jancic S. Diltiazem prevention of toxic effects of monosodium glutamate on ovaries in rats. Gen Physiol Biophys 2009; 28:149–154.
2. Isidori AM, Pozza C, Gianfrilli D, Isidori A. Medical treatment to improve sperm quality. J Reprod Biomed. 2006; 12:704 -714.
3. Carlsen E, Giwercman A, Keiding N, Skakkebaek NE.. Evidence for decreasing quality of semen during past 50 years. BMJ. 1992; 305:609-613.
4. Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB). Analysis of adverse reactions to monosodium glutamate (MSG). Bethesda, MD: Life Sciences Research Office; 1995.
5. Hodgson Aurora Saulo. Some facts about monosodium glutamate (MSG), Foods and Nutrition 2001; 5-8.
6. Samuels S. The toxicity/safety of MSG: a study in suppression of information. Account Res 1999;6 (4):259–310.
7. Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) Evaluation of certain food additives: Thirty –first report of the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives. WHO technical report series. 1987; 28:108.
8. Eweka AO, Om’Iniabohs FAE. Histological Studies Of The Effects Of Monosodium Glutamate On The Testis Of Adult Wistar Rats . The Internet Journal of Urology.2008; 5(2): 35-39.
9. Kuldip S, Ahluwalia P. Studies on the effectof Monosodium glutamate administration on the activity of xanthine oxidase, superoxide dismutase and catalase in hepatic tissueof adult male mice. Ind J Clin Biochem.2002; 17(1):29-33.
10. Eweka AO. Histological studies of the effects of monosodium glutamate on the kidney of adult Wistar rats. The Internet Journal of Health.2007; 6(2): 45-48.
11. Vinodini NA, Nayanatara AK, Ramaswamy C, Ranade AV,Rheka DK, Damadara GKM et al. Study on evaluation of Monosodium glutamate-induced oxidative damage on renal tissue on adult wistar rats. Journal of Chinese Clinical Medicine,2010;3:3- 5.
12. Farombi EO . Monosodium glutamate-induced oxidative damage and genotoxicity in the rat: modulatory role of Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Quercetin. Human and Experimental Toxicology.2006; 25:251-259.
13. Onakewhor J, Oforofuo I, Singh S. Chronic administration of monosodium glutamate induces oligozoospermia and glycogen accumulation in Wistar rat testes. Afr J Reprod Health 1998;2(2):190–7.
14. Oforofuo O, Onakewhor J, Idaewor P. The effect of chronic administration of MSG on the histology of the adult Wistar rat testes. Biosci Res Commun 1997;9:2-9.
15. Schuppan DI, Jia JD, Brinkhaus B, Hahn EG. Herbal Products for Liver Diseases: A Therapeutic Challenge for the New Millennium. Hepatology.1999;30(4):1099-104.
16. Bone ME, Wilkinson DJ, Young JR, McNeil J, Charlton S.. Ginger root, a new antiemetic. The effect of ginger root on postoperative nausea and vomiting after major gynaecological surgery. Anaesthesia.1990; 45(8): 669-71.
17. Sripramote,M. and N. Lekhyananda. A randomized comparison of ginger and vitamin B6 in the treatment of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy. J. Med. Assoc. Thai.2003;86: 846-853.
18. Sekiwa Y, Kubota K, Kobayashi A.Isolation of novel glucosides related to gingerdiol from ginger and their antioxidative activities. J.Agric.Food Chem.2000;48:373-377.
19. Zancan KC, Marques MO, Petenate AJ, Meireles MA. Extraction of ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe) oleoresin with CO2 and co-solvents: a study of the antioxidant action of the extracts. J.Supercrit.Flu.2002; 24:57-76.
20. Kamtchouing P, Fandio GYM, Dimo T, Jatsa HB.Evaluation of androgenic activity of Zingiber officinale and pentadiplandra brazzeana in male rats. Asian J Androl.2002; 4:299-301.
21. Nayantara AK, Vinodini NA, Damodar G, Ahmed B, Ramaswamy CR, Shabarianth, Ramesh Bhat M. Role of ascorbic acid in monosodium glutamate mediated effect on testicular weight, sperm morphology and sperm count, in rat testis. J Chinese clin. Med.2008; 3(1): 145-149.
22. Memudu AE , Akinrinade ID, Ogundele OM, and Duru F. Effects of long and short term treatment of aqueous extract of ginger (Zingibier Officinale) on male reproductive function of adult Sprague dawley rats. Journal of Medicine and Medical Science. 2012; 3(11): 692-696.
23.Wilson I and Gamble M., 2002. The hematoxylins and eosins, In: Theory and practice of histological techniques, Bancroft JD and Gamble M (eds.), 5th ed., Churchill Livingston, Elservier Science Limited, London,UK, pp. 125-138.
24. Fereshteh M.,Feraidoon N. Morphometric Evaluation of Seminiferous tubules in Aged Mice Testes after Melatonin Aministration. Cell J. 2011;1(31):1-4.
25. Sakr ,S.A. and Okda.Y.A. Histological and histochemical alteration in the testicular tissue of mice intoxicated with benomyl. Biol.Sci. J.2004;4(4):498-500.
26. Das R,GHosh S. Long term effects of Monosodium Glutamate on spermatogenesis following neonatal exposure in albino mice- a histological study.Nepal Med.J 2010;12:149-53.
27. Mohamed IK. The effect of oral dosage of Monosodium Glutamate applied for short and long –term on the histology and ultrastructure of testes of the adult rats.J Anim Vet Adv 2012;11(1):124-33.),
28. Atallah O. Experimental nitrate, neitrite, and hydroxylamietoxicosisin the Gunieapig. Ph.D thesis; Dept. of Pathology, Michigan State Univ., USA ;1966.
29. EL-Deeb R.,Zakaria I.,Abd EL-Khalik I., Abd EL-Aziz S. The influence of short and long –term treatments with monosodium glutanmate on the testis and liver of albino rats.Egypt J Zool 2000; 35:163-87.
30. Aisha D.Alwani Monosodium Glutamte induced testicular lesions in rats (histological study). Mid E. Fert. Soci J .2014;19:274-280.)
31. Sinha Hikim AP, Swerdloff RS. Hormonal and genetic control of germ cells apoptosis in the testis. J Reprod. 1999;4(1):38-47.
32. Favorite LA, Hidalgo A Jr, Pazos HM, Costa WS, Sampaio FJ. Streological and morphometric analysis of collagen and seminiferous tubules in testes of patients with cryptorchidism submitted or not to treatment with human chorionic gonadotrophin. Int Braz J Urol. 2005;31(6):562–568.
33. Sakr S.A.,Badawy G.M. Effect of ginger on metrian-inhibited spermatogenensis and induced apoptosis in albino mice. J Applied Pharm Sci.2011;1(4):131-136.
34. Siddaraju MN, Dharmesh SM. Inhibition of gastric H pylori growth by phenolic antioxidants of Zingiber Officinale.Mol. Nutr.Food Res.2007;51(3): 324-332.
35. Khaki,A. Fathiazad,F., Nouri M.,Khaki A.A.,Chelar C.,Ozanic, Ghafari- NovinM.,and Hamadeh N. Effect of Ginger on spermatogenesis and sperm parameters of Rats.Iran J.Reprod.Med.2009;7(1):7-12.
36. Zahedi,A., Khaki A. ,Ahmad Ashtiani H.R., Rastegar H , and Rezazadeh S.H. Zingiber Officinale protective effects on gentamicine’s toxicity on sperm in rats.J Medicin Plant.2010; 9(35): 93-98.
37. Amr A.A., and Hamza A.E.A..Effects of Roselle and Ginger on cisplatin-induced reproductive toxicity in rats. Asian J.Androl.2006; 8:607-612.
38. Santamaria L, Martinez-Onsorbe P, Paniagua R, Nistal M. Laminin, type IV collagen and fibronectin in normal and cryptorchid human testes.an immunohistochemical study. Int J Androl. 1990;13 (2):135–146.
© The Authors, published by University of Sulaimani, College of Medicine
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.