IMPROVEMENT OF QUALITY OF LIFE AFTER ENDOSCOPIC SINUS SURGERY FOR CHRONIC RHINO-SINUSITIS
Muaid Ismaiel Aziz *
* Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Sulaimani.
Submitted: 27/4/2014; Accepted: 16/8/2014; Published 1/6/2015
DOI Link: https://doi.org/10.17656/jsmc.10064
Chronic Rhinosinusitis has a great impact on patient`s life quality because of its associated symptoms,were endoscopic sinus surgery widely used as treatment for it , so assessment of symptomatic outcome of this type of surgery on quality of life will be of value for otorhinolaryngology surgeons and for the patient.
To assess the effect of endoscopic sinus surgery in improving symptoms and health aspect of quality of life for
patients with chronic rhinosinusitis depending on the patient`s satisfaction.
This prospective study conducted on 60 patients suffering from chronic rhinosinusitis, with male predominance (33 Males: 27 Females), were underwent endoscopic sinus surgery. Sino-Nasal Assessment Questionnaire used for data collection preoperatively and six months postoperatively. Data analyzed statistically and compared.
There was highly significant association between the preoperative and postoperative scores(p <0.001), no association found for the outcome with the age(p>0.05) or sex (p>0.05), nasal obstruction was the most relieved symptom and cough was the least.
Endoscopic sinus surgery done for patients with chronic rhinosinusitishas a positive effect on disease-specific Quality of Life after six months follow-up.
Keywords: Rhino-sinusitis, nasal obstruction, endoscopic sinus surgery.
Rhino-sinusitis, nasal obstruction, endoscopic sinus surgery.
1. James N. Palmer and David W. Kennedy, Concepts of Endoscopic Sinus Surgery: Causes of Failure, Paul W. Flint, Bruce H. Haughey, Mark A. Richardson, Cummings Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery, Fifth Edition ,Mosby Elsevier, 2010 ,pp774
2. Rudolf Probst , Gerhard Grevers , Heinrich Iro, Anatomy, Physiology, and Immunology of the Nose Paranasal Sinuses &Face. Basic Otolaryngology, Thieme ,2006 ,p.7.
3. Donald C. Lanza,David W. Kennedy, Endoscopic Sinus Surgery,Byron J. Bailey , Head and Neck Surgery - Otolaryngology,Third Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins ,2001,p.278.
4. Valerie J Lund and Julian Rowe-Jones, Surgical Management of Rhinosinusitis, Michael Gleeson , Scott-Brown's Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, 7th edition, Hodder Arnold,2008,Vol.2, pp.1481-2.
5. Amy Anne Lassig & Bevan Yueh, Outcomes research, Paul W.Flint, Bruce H. Haughey, Mark A. Richardson, Cummings Otolaryngology H & N Surgery, Fifth Edition,Mosby Elsevier, 2010, pp. 52-7.
6. Ingo Baumann, Subjective Outcomes Assessment in Chronic Rhinosinusitis, The Open OtorhinolaryngologyJournal,2010,4,28-33
7. Netkovski J., Sirgovska B., The Impact Of Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery On Symptoms In Chronic Rhinosinusitis, Prilozi, Odd. biol. med. nauki,Contributions, Sec. Biol. Med. Sci., MASA, XXVII, 2,2006, p. 167–174.
8. F.F. Fahmy, A. McCombe, D.C. Mckiernan,. Sino nasal assessment questionnaire, a patient focused, rhinosinusitis specific outcome measure,. Rhinology, 40, 2002, 195-197.
9. Michael Damm, GeroQuante, Markus Jungehuelsing, EberhardStennert, Impact of functional endoscopic sinus surgery on symptoms and quality of life in chronic rhinosinusitis. Department of Otorhinolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery, University of Cologne, Cologne (Koeln), Germany.2002.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11889389; accessed in 19-Jul-2013.
10. Alexander C. Chester, Symptom-specific outcomes of endoscopic sinus surgery: A systematic review, 2012 Journal Citation Reports
11. ThiagoFreire PintoBezerra ,Assessment of quality of life after endoscopic sinus surgery for chronic rhinosinusitis, Braz. j.otorhinolaryngol. vol.78 no.2 São Paulo Mar./Apr. 2012 .
12. Smith TL, Mendolia-Loffredo S, Loehrl TA, Sparapani R, Laud PW, Nattinger AB. Predictive factors and outcomes in endoscopic sinus surgery for chronic rhinosinusitis. Laryngoscope. 2005;115(12):2199-205.
© The Authors, published by University of Sulaimani, College of Medicine
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.