RISK FACTORS OF ACUTE CORONARY SYNDROME IN YOUNG AGED PEOPLE IN SULAIMANI

Husain T. Fatah a and Burhan M. Babakr b



a Department of Medicine, College of  Medicine, University Of Sulaimani
b Candidate Kurdistan Board of Internal Medicine. 

Submitted: 14/8/2018; Accepted: 15/1/2019; Published 21/3/2019

ABSTRACT


Background 

Acute coronary syndrome is relatively rare in young aged people but it is a serious condition may cause many complications including sudden cardiac death.


Objectives 

To assess the risk factors of ACS in those less than 45 years old.


Patients and Methods

This is a retrospective study that observed risk factor profiles of 40 cases of ACS who are younger than 45 years old and admitted to coronary care unit in Sulaimani.


Results

The mean age was 40.9 years old .Male to female ratio was4.7:1 and 75% of the cases were ST elevation myocardial infarction STEMI), the other 25% of the cases were non ST elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI) and unstable angina (UA).The most associated risk factor was smoking, in which 55% of the cases were smokers while 40% of the cases were diabetics. There was hypercholesterolemia in 37% of the cases, and 32.5% of the cases had family history of ACS.


Conclusion

In this study we found that male sex, smoking, dyslipidemia, and presence of family history are the most associated risk factors for developing ACS in young aged groups.



KEYWORDS

 Acute coronary syndrome, ST elevation myocardial infarctions, Non STEMI, Unstable angina.