Journal of Sulaimani Medical College
Journal of Sulaimani Medical College (JSMC) is a peer-reviewed Journal published biannually by the School of Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Sulaimani. JSMC publishes manuscript in all fields of medical sciences in English.
Contributions Original articles, review articles, case reports, editorials, medical quiz, and letters to the editor. Manuscript submission Submission of a manuscript implies that it is not considered for publication anywhere.
- Manuscripts submitted to JSMC are subject to editor's evaluation and revision by three referees in appropriate specialty.
- The format of JSMC complies with the uniform requirements for the manuscript submitted to biomedical Journals, published by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE, Vancouver, British Columbia 1979) and its last update in Oct. 2008, available on the website www.icmje.org. We encourage the use of reporting guidelines such the CONSORT statement for randomized, controlled trials and the STROBE statement for observational studies (http://www.equator-network.org/).
- Manuscripts should be printed double spaced on size A4 (29.5 x 21 cm.) paper with wide margins. Pages should be numbered consecutively. Begin each of the following sections on separate page in the following sequence; Title page, abstract and keywords, text, acknowledgements, references, tables, and legends for illustration. Electronic submission is preferable in microsoft word 2003 format to e mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com·
- Manuscript and figure will not be returned to authors whether the editorial decision is to accept, revise or reject the manuscript.
- Manuscript must be accompanied by a covering paper signed by all authors that the paper has not been published in and will not be submitted to any other journal if accepted in JSMC. The page should contain (a) title of the manuscript (b) names of each author (c) official academic and/or clinical title and affiliation (d) name and address of the institution where the work was done (e) name, address, phone and e-mail, of the author to whom correspondence should be sent.
- Abstract manuscript should include an abstract not more than 250 words. Structured abstract typed on a separate paper and consist of background, objective, method, results and conclusion. Translation in Arabic is optional : (الخلاصة: خلفية الدراسة، اهداف الدراسة، طريقة العمل، النتائج والاستنتاج). Translation in Kurdish (پوخته) is also optional.
- Keywords: three to ten keywords should be provided on the same page as the abstract in English. As far as possible, be selected from the national library of medicine, Medical Subject Headings.
- Manuscript Format: it should be divided into the following parts: introduction, materials and methods, results and discussion. Numbers and units: measurement of length, height, weight and volume should be reported in metric units. Temperature in degrees Celsius, blood pressure should be expressed in mmHg and all hematologic and clinical chemistry measurements in SI units.
- Abbreviations: should be defined on first use and then applied consistently throughout the article. Avoid abbreviations in the title and abstract. · References should be numbered both in text and in the list of references in the order in which they appear in the text. The punctuation of the Vancouver style should be followed. The titles of journals should be abbreviated according to the style used in Index Medicus. This can be obtained from website (http://www.nlm.nih.gov /). It would be preferable if author use endnote reference programme. The author is responsible for the accuracy of references.
The following are examples of the four most common types of citations:
- Journal citation, Six or less authors: Smith J, Canton EM. Weight-based administration of dalteparin in obese patients. Am J Health-SystPharm. 2003; 60(7):683-687.
- Typical entry for journal with more than 6 authors (If more than 6 authors, list first 6, then et al) Rose ME, Huerbin MB, Melick J, Marion DW, Palmer AM, Schiding JK, et al. Regulation of interstitial excitatory amino acid concentrations after cortical contusion injury. Brain Res. 2002; 935(1-2):40-6.
- Book citation, noting chapter and authors: Arevalo JA, Nesbitt TS. Medical problems during pregnancy. In: Taylor RB, Editor. Family medicine: principles and practice. 6th ed. New York: Springer–Verlag; 2003. P. 109-16.
- Electronic source: Seal A, Kerac M. Operational implications of using 2006 World Health Organization growth standards in nutrition programmes: secondary data analysis. BMJ. 2007; 334:733. http://www.bmj.com cgi/content/full/334/7596/733. Accessed April 12, 2007.
- Tables: each table should be typed on a separate page double-spaced, including all headings, number all tables with Arabic numerals and include a short title. Vertical lines between columns are to be avoided.
- Figures: All figures must be suitable for reproduction without being retouched or redrawn. Figure number, name of senior author, and title of the work should be written lightly on the back with red pencil. Photographs must be supplied as glossy colour prints. The top of the figure should be indicated clearly. Legends: Captions for figures must be typed; double spaced and must not appear on the figure.
Manuscript should be submitted to:
- After manuscript has been accepted for publication, authors are required to supply the final version of the manuscript on CD in MS Word 2003, 2007 or 2010 format. Proof reading will be done by the secretarial office of the journal. The authors are responsible for accuracy of all statements, data and references included in manuscript. Ethical Considerations When experiments on humans are being reported the whole work in the manuscript should conform to the ethical standards of the responsible committee on human experimentation.
Editor In Chief
Journal of Sulaimani Medical College
School of Medicine,
Faculty of Medical Sciences,
University of Sulaimani
Fransoa Miteran Street
Tel. +964 53 3270924
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
* The authors of accepted articles should all fill this form with their signatures and the corresponding author should return the form to JSMC as a hard copy or scanned signed form via email, please download the form (Microsoft Document 2003, format doc) JSMC.